Thursday, November 6, 2008

sally


My mom would have been 72 if she were with us,
but I wonder how you count age once you are gone.
I like to think she is college age now, 21 or 22,
that big smile flashing, her Jane Russell body,
one boy with her, another dozen or so chasing.

I hope she is happy wherever she is,
with her mother and father, her sister,
her mother and father-in-law,
her Theta friends, all of the people she knew and loved.
I always say that I hope my mom
is eating chips by the pool. That's just how I picture her.

Here, on this solid brown earth,
I miss her it-will-all-be-fine attitude,
something I scorned for so many years.
I love my dad, but he has passed on his worry streak to me
and I need a dose of naive assurance
every once in a while. Who am I kidding?
I need it every day these days.
So, I am sure I will seek my other mothers today,
linger in their presence longer.
Hang on for that secret smile
or find a way to receive her hug in their arms.

And I will think these words,
I will try to live into these words:
Life is short.
We do not have much time with the people on our path.
So make swift with your love and
make haste with your kindness.
For life is short, life is so short. Amen.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wonderful tribute to your mom....

Anonymous said...

Beautiful. Dad