Wednesday, February 18, 2009

in one year


The sadness has turned into a soft spot, 
more tender bruise than beating. 
My heart is larger, porous, 
more seeping in and out. 
My eyes are darker, my hair more gray.
My skin a little thicker, a little thinner, 
it all depends on the day. 

I have known the kind of pain 
that can recognize all pain. 
(And this is a gift).
I can sit in a cold dark well, 
and not wither, not wrinkle. 
I can play with the water, 
and somehow cleanse the fear. 

I am smarter.  I am smaller. 
I walk lightly on a thin mountain path. 
I am learning to release questions, 
as the trees finally know to drop brown leaves. 
I have traveled long distances in tight spaces, 
and arrived here, where I was, 
on the night it happened, 
but tonight, I am living. 
I am living.  I am living. 

No comments: