Saturday, July 18, 2009

flipping the omelette





It's been more than a year since I tried to make an omelette.
It's not really the kind of meal you make for one.
It's more of a meal made for another.
Sunday morning, with a side of bacon,
and some fresh squeezed orange juice.
It's a loving meal, food tendered up as a gift.

But today I wanted one. Mushrooms and cheese.
And, as I whipped the eggs with a bit of milk,
and put the butter into the warm pan,
I wondered if I should just make a scramble,
a fancy scramble. That would be good enough.

Then, a sure resolute "no" came over me.
I would make myself an omelette,
I could offer myself a good and loving meal.
The mushrooms sauteed, the eggs poured in,
the bubbling and pulling from edge to center,
edge to center. Creating the hard cooked bottom.

Then I was faced with the problem of flipping.
Not something I have done with much success,
and certainly without any practice
in a long, long time.
Again, a sure and resolute "yes" came over me.
I rocked the pan, felt the ease, the slippery tide of the eggs.
With an unwavering certainty,
I pushed the pan out and caught the omelette
on the other side.

It takes a certain amount of confidence
to flip an omelette. Just as it takes
a certain amount of confidence to flip your life.
To finally say, sure some parts of me
are still a bit loose, but I am solid underneath,
I am ready for what will happen.
See the way I can slide back and forth
against my life, see how I am about to teeter over,
see how I can take the push.
Push me, I dare you, push me.
See how I'll turn one end over the other,
see how I'll fly, then land, just right.





No comments: