Tuesday, April 20, 2010

What I knew in Grand Rapids

I used to think that events were discrete:
the picnic, the talk in the chapel,
hiking in the Chagrin Reservation.

And then, maybe, I saw one linked to another:
they asked and I went;
she left and I am sad;
the rain falls and the peonies grow.

Then, with age or mercy,
I could see them all strewn out like chess moves,
one linked to another:
the post, the email, the quick, the yes, the longing, the love.
I could trace my life back choice by choice,
retrospectingly connected.

But now, right now, I see it all,
just maybe for today, as a bridge.
One thing taking me to the next,
moving from one side to the other.
And there are only two sides of my life:
what was and what is better.
Even the darkness, the doubt, the desert wandering.
All of it before: one form of glorious goodness.
All of it to come: a wider form of more glorious goodness.


No comments: