Thursday, June 24, 2010

the roll of days


It's begun, the roll of days,
no one distinguishing itself from the others.
I do not even know if it is the middle or end of the month.
I will only remember the the things in this day
that left a leaving mark:
the cold patch in my driveway,
an email to the choir director,
and perhaps, the check I wrote
that will end up on next month's bank statement.
I will forget Jaden Smith's natural ease on the movie screen,
the flirtatious invitation I extended in a text,
my vow to greet everyone I met with a smile,
the way I created a circle for tonight's meeting,
and the comment I made in the middle of the prayer
that made everyone laugh. I do not know
the purpose of these days, the ones that slide by
without notoriety. They pass like clouds,
morphing from shape to blob to shape,
then plow off to the east, forgotten,
but yet part of that stream of grace
that comes from being without proving,
living without needing to earn your place.

No comments: