Sunday, December 25, 2011

Seeing






I do not think this day is about a baby born two thousand years ago (though it might be). Nor do I think that this is a day to celebrate a generous and giving God (though I certainly do that). I think this day is about being awakened again.  Opening our gluey eyes again.  Feeling with our numb fingertips for the first time again.  

Tonight I noticed the pure white marble in this marble jar for the first time. I have seen the jar hundreds of times.  I purchased it eight, maybe ten, years ago.  My neighbor and I have splayed all of the marbles out on the carpet and sorted them by color.  But it was today that I saw the white marble, this anomalous gem throned at the top of the pile. 

That is what today is.  Being brought down to this earth.  Pulled out of our clouded minds, with their niggling worries and deadlines.  Today is about touching beauty.  The smallest beauty.  The unsuspected beauty.  Today is about turning our heads from side to side, catching the shiny glimmers.  Reaching out our hands, like a newborn, toward the ones that feed us.  It is about crying ourselves to sleep, wanting to be held.  Then awaking up, squirming and kicking our legs, wanting to be move.  Today is Christmas.  Time to rub our eyes.  Then open them wide.  Then stare, with wonder, as if we have never been here before.

No comments: