Saturday, April 28, 2012

Determined


Is it possible to make an icon from a found stone or doctrine?
It is, we do. Inscribe a thing with meaning, cinch it to importance.
Somehow, I have plastered someone to my cuff,
I have set her face upon a coin.
I have placed her leaving in the center of the dining room table.

If I must, it is time to be encumbered
by something real: this red pen,
the paper I am writing on,
the spoon in my warm turkey noodle soup.
My skin is soft tonight, my eyes softer,
my heart has beat a ridiculously
determined two million times since she left.

If I am to make an icon, let me make an icon of this:
the millstone, the grinding,
the grain, the creation of bread.
The butter churned, the bread buttered,
the chewing of the hurt into the tiniest morsels possible.

No comments: