Sunday, September 7, 2008

Sweet


I can picture him
at Marshalls or Target, 
maybe even Restoration Hardware, 
looking at the pillow and the throw, 
wondering if my brother and sister-in-law
would like them.  Wondering if they would match 
their furniture as well as 
he could imagine them matching.

I can picture him
pulling out the charge card, excited. 
Chatting with the cashier. 
Then penning the note, 
putting the items in the big bag, 
covering it with tissue paper. 

I can picture him
thinking of them today
opening the present, 
his present to them 
on their anniversary. 

For some reason this makes my heart ache, 
how my father works so purposefully, 
sweetly, to gift his love. 
How he thinks and plans, 
then executes in a perfect way. 
How it's just him now, 
and how he knows we count on him 
to provide us with a double kind of devotion.
How he just wants to be seen, and known, 
maybe thanked for paying such gentle attention. 

How I can see the little boy in him, 
in his seventy-four year old face.
How he ducks his eyes just a bit
and holds out every one 
of his offerings with both hands. 
Wanting it to be just right. 
Wanting it all to be alright, 
never exactly sure 
that it always is. 


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow. I don't know that I can or do live up to that. It is a beautiful piece. Thank you and love you.