Saturday, March 14, 2009

friday the 13th

 
Friday the 13th was the day I fell down the stairs at school and had to be taken to the hospital.  It also was a day, years ago, that I was rejected by my golf team.  So, the day and I have some history.  And, always, I wonder what might happen when it rolls around. 

Yesterday, though, should have been called whatever is opposite from Friday the 13th, maybe Friday the millionth.  Friday the great.  None of this was expected or planned, and that makes it all feel so much more solid and symbolic. 

I received assurances from every possible relationship I have.  A former student, from 12 years ago, came to visit.  Full of vigor and youth.  And athlete, a scholar, in the Army to work out his propensity for risk and action. I was able to support one of my closest working friends with a care package for a big comprehensive exam  and I knew exactly what to get her and why she would like each item.  A friend came over with a birthday present, perfect for me.  So perfect that I know he knows me well and deep and wide.  My neighbors called for help, something broken in their house.  A paramour from the past wrote with stories bridging the gap from when we knew each other to now.  And a friend called to ask if I could help her.  Help her in a way that no one had ever been asked.  Entrusted, I would be entrusted with a really honorable task.

A new acquaintance asked me what about my life surprises me, and after yesterday, it would probably be this: I am known and trusted in a way that my shy and nerdy seventh grade self never imagined would be possible. That there is a web of humanity and I am part of it.  Lucky to be part of it. 






1 comment:

BHR said...

I will now always think of Friday the 13th in a different light.

KTF