Saturday, July 3, 2010

Contrast

I went to the art museum on Thursday with my friend Karen. The new East Wing has been open for months and I just had not made it down to University Circle to see it. This room, the Rodin Sculpture Room, just blew me away. It feels like you are inside, but outside, in the future with an eye on the past. The floors are a perfect smooth wood. The walls are a perfect smooth glass. And, each piece is a solid, heavy hunk of confidence. Angels wrestling demons. Men who sacrificed their lives. Warriors. Thinkers. Holy priests.

I am having a hard time putting words to the power of this, but I need to say I went back Friday to take these pictures. I like the way I feel in this enclave. It seems just right right now. I want to be one of these men who were worthy of their bronze commemoration. I want to be out, and safely in. I want to remember where I have been, but clearly have faith in the clean glassed future. That's what I want.

No comments: