Saturday, August 28, 2010

In case I forget


I hold the pencil,
I choose the colors,
I decide the shape upon shape,
it is I who picks how hard to press.
I wait until the pencil tip is too dull for drawing,
then my hands are the ones that sharpen it.
I determine what gets posted,
my fingers clicked on this picture to upload.

My friend writes poems about clouds
shaped like aramaic scrolls
and veins of streetlights seen from a plane.
Currents under frozen rivers.
I am not as smart as she;
I have a much more direct metaphor.

This mandala did not exist until I conceived it,
or, more realistically, until I let it come from me.
I did not think that I was going to draw
concentric lopsided quadrilaterals.
But I did have to get the sketchbook,
I had to find an open page,
I had to be willing to select the first prismacolor,
and touch it to the page.
I had to figure out what to do next,
then next, then next. I had to cock my head,
and determine the subsequent step when none was obvious.
I did not know that it would turn out
beautifully, and so would this picture:
the one that reminds me of the work.

Every day is like this:
the black page, the empty white rim,
the medium, the intention, the acts
of imagination, formation, inauguration.
It is the same, filling the circle
of a page or the curve of time.
In case I forget, life is not happening to me,
I am happening to life.




No comments: