Saturday, August 14, 2010

A poem for Nikki


I want to say to you

that I do not know the difference

between repentance and redemption.

You said one and I thought the other.

Maybe that is because, for me,

I will be delivered from my guilt

and atoned for my sins by repentance,

by taking another path.

I have thrown thousands of rocks into rivers

as we did today. And I wonder

if they have slid down the Black,

tumbled through the Chagrin,

and ended up all in one place.

I wonder if they have piled up,

every regret on top of every sin,

onto some silty floor.

And every day, they are baptized,

made smoother and smoother

by the gentle friction of time.

And I wonder, if, every summer,

some young girl wanders out into

that stream, some solemn brown eyed saint,

to stand upon the dam of my contrition,

so that she can be on something sturdy,

but not quite in the water, running.

Her bare tan feet on my life,

her small but able toes

curled over stone, as she faces where

the water is going,

not where the water has been.

No comments: