Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Lunch


This year, I am making my own lunch.
No brown paper bag stuffed to the curled handle, 
no special treats, mid-day snacks, no toy.
I will not be eating turkey on a fluffy roll, 
nor will I be reading a love note unearthed
near the bottom of the bag. 

I do not even know if she knows 
this is the first day of school. 
I do not know if she'll stop for a minute, 
pause and smile, thinking of me -- 
or her -- how she could create love for us
as easily as the sun turns to rise each day. 

All I know is that I will be thinking of her, 
at 10, when there are no pretzels to eat. 
At 12, as I stand by the microwave
to heat up the pasta I made for myself. 
At 2, just when I am craving some chocolate. 
And now, right now, as I try to type 
and type and type away at the missing. 

I feel like I should take out a brightly colored 
piece of paper and a thin black pen. 
And I should write in that printing she had 
and I have, so straight and true. 
"I love you" -  maybe a wish floating 
backwards to our time, a thank you note to her. 
Or a message for me about myself.  
That I can read, put in my pocket, 
and try to believe when my lunch is hard to swallow. 

No comments: