Friday, August 22, 2008

More Than Half Empty


Even then, on one of our first excursions, see her hand? 
The one that is raised and waving good-bye?

I force myself to write poems of light and hope, 
I spoon-feed myself the gruel of forgiveness, 

when part of me wants to lay down in the street and wail, 
stand outside her door and shout a fuckyou shout. 

One that her new love will hear, that the neighbors will hear, 
that her co-workers and clients will hear, 

so that they will wonder about her, what she did to cause 
and plant a seed with such a black and ferocious root. 

This is the weekend we would go to Zinck's Inn, 
these are the days of Berlin laughter and board games.

And now there are places I can never go, places 
stripped from me forever.  And I am angry, hurt.  

I feel like I am digging dirt to fill in a hole that has no bottom.  
Dark humus, as organic as anything I know. 

Not planting a backyard garden nor contributing beauty--
like a pink dogwood tree or a patch of royal iris. 

I am just lifting and turning, pouring soil into my empty spots.
Digging and digging, sweat like tears running down my face.  

No comments: