Sunday, August 24, 2008

Mom


My mom hated this picture, 
the fat billowing from her suit straps.
But --and -- it has always been one of my favorites.
The way she is looking at Sarah, 
the way Sarah is looking back. 

Love. What else could you call it? 

I miss my mother.  I miss her now, 
as my life turns to the right, 
into the last few decades. 

I want to know what she would advise me, 
whether I should stay or go, 
move forward in hope or hold the party line.  

I want to read her words of assurance, 
that it will all be okay. 
I will not live alone, die alone, 
struggle alone.  

I want to see her laugh just one more time, 
her head thrown back. 
I want one more hug, 
to be pulled sufficatingly to her breasts. 

I want her to cry with me in a few months, 
when I lose my uterus, my eggs. 
The grandchildren I never gave her, 
the babies she never swam with. 
I want her to hold my hand through that small death, 
the same way I cradled hers when she left us. 







No comments: