Monday, May 24, 2010

Glitter


Why I needed to be glittering a snowflake with kindergartners on an 88 degree day in May is irrelevant, all I want to say today is that I came home with glitter on my toes. And in my ears. Speckled through my hair. Stuck to my cheek. Glitter doesn't cling to anything (though it seems to), it needs glue or sweat, or a tangle of friction to make it stay. Glitter does not appear from nowhere and stay. You have to call for it, cull it up, work with it, get dirty. Sticky.

I keep waiting for something magical to happen to me, zip out of the blue and land in my life. But, maybe, the better approach to getting something that makes my life sparkle is to be at the table, sitting in a tiny chair, knee to knee with the project. Maybe eye catching comes from being caught in a moment. Maybe glitter does not spin down upon us, but stays with us -- hangs onto us -- when we are simply doing. Being. Helping out.

Thank you Luke; we made a beautiful snowflake.

No comments: