Tuesday, May 18, 2010

I don't know why

...but we often watched Monty Hall and "Let's Make a Deal" when I was growing up. There was something about the allure of the other door or the object beneath the box. That measured calculation between what was known and what might be coming.

So many things around be are changing. People running to and through new doors. Taking new jobs, moving to distant cities, buying new homes, rallying for a new cause, taking on a new partner. But I seem to be stuck exactly where I stood when taking this picture. Far from the options. Centered on them, knowing they were coming, but still distant. And like the picture, my feet are fixed. Stuck in the cement. For all I know I may still be standing there, a statue in someone else's favorite memory.

Let me take a chance now. Let me decide what each of those six options could be. How about a different job in this city? How about a different job in a new city? How about a new city, without a new job? Maybe a summer sojourn across the country? Maybe finding someone waiting for me behind one of those columns -- right there, I am just not close enough to see her yet? Or how about this: maybe an option is just to be here, with this job and this life, and actually decide to give into it. Love it. Accept that it is the option I have always been choosing. How about that?




No comments: