Saturday, May 1, 2010

turning 50


Today was the third 50th birthday party
I have been to in three months,
all for women hosted by their husbands.
I loved every one -- the toasts, the roasts,
the laughter, good food, plenty of wine,
celebrating the beloved -- I loved it all
until I got home.

It's amazing how quiet a house is,
how big a bed is, how wide a lawn is,
how deep a driveway can be. It is amazing
how lonely one plate looks on a table,
or one toothbrush in a cup.

I have about 600 days to solve this problem.
600 days until I am surrounded by a crowd,
or eating a cake I made myself for myself.
But for now, I have today. Just one day
to wrestle with and conquer.

One fork to wash, one pillow to plump,
one towel to hang, one book to finish,
one door to lock, one poem to write,
one day to outlast, one moment at a time.




No comments: