Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Yes, twice


Today I thought I was going to write about the name a first grader called me after school.  (No worries, it's a wonderful malapropism, not something derisive.)  As I was leaving school, Abby yelled out, "Have a good night, Miss Rhinestone." That'll make me smile for days, but even still it is not the best part of my day.

After dinner, I headed out on my moped.  I went left on Fairmount to see the Shaker Lakes The views are good, the roads are smooth, and it's always grand to look at the best housing stock in the mid-west.

As a zoomed past the Nature Center, cutting over to Larchmere, I spied two deer in a small wooded area just off the lake walkway.  I pulled over and snapped this picture.   A spotted fawn in September would be good enough, but this is actually the second day in a row I have seen her. 

And even that is not the best part of this.  I have not seen a spotted fawn in years.  Two days ago someone I just met told me an amazing story about a spring fawn.  And then -- hmmm -- I saw one.  I told her about it then she, like I, wondered if deer have two breeding cycles.  It seemed curious.

So all day I was thinking -- doubting really -- if I actually saw a fawn.  If it's even possible to see them this late in the season.  If this little coincidence between me and this new friend is a mere coincidence or that sweet synchronicity that lifts and assures me.  Yes, I believe in little signs.  Tiny alters of magic.  Nods from near and far.   I believe in the spotted fawn.  And, well, I believe in the mix meant to happen -- whatever it is or however long it lasts -- between two people who've never met.  And I believe in that thing that places glimpses of wonder right in front of us.  That thing that plops awe right down in our path.


No comments: