Sunday, November 20, 2011

Context

Today I spent a large amount of time with my arms around someone.  It was great, calming.  Blissful, dare I say.  Tomorrow, I will spend one minute with my arms around someone during Heimlich training.  Worse yet, someone will have to put their arms around me. I am dreading it immensely. 

I am corresponding with the man whose house I am renting in New Mexico at holiday time.  He is cautioning me to rent an all-wheel vehicle; we might, possibly (it's been known to happen) get 3-5 inches of snow while I am there.  It's scaring me to death.  Those long, dark highways, on the edge of arroyos.  More than likely, we'll get 3-5 inches of snow before then here in Cleveland, and it'll be a piece of cake.  The first storm of many. 

It took me two weeks to get out my check book to pay my water bill and stuff the envelope with the remittance, yet, tonight, for two and a half hours, I folded 600 letters that got stuffed into 600 envelopes -- campaign literature for my neighbor, who is running for judge. 

I am starting to see, it's all context.  It's not the thing or the doing, it's often the setting and purpose. So much hinges on the placement of our actions and intent.


No comments: