Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Talking to my grandfather at the crypt



Talking to my grandfather at the crypt
I have to crane my neck to look at you, like a heron swallowing fish.
You are there: below Isaac Tingling and just above Sam Ross.
They call it the Western Milwaukee Memorial Gardens,
but nothing is growing there.  All the leaves are brown.
I have come here, driven 453 miles, to apologize for something
I said when I was eight.  Now, I know I was wrong.  Mean.
And it’s important that the dusty long dead of you hear it:
You did look handsome in your celery green polyester suit.
Your red and blue tie.  I liked the way your hair bounced
on its crown like a kingfisher’s plume.  I was not ashamed of you.
Or the gingham dressed bunny you gave me for Easter.
I loved the Viking twang of your Wisconsin talk.
I loved shucking the pistachio nuts with you. 
Holding your red fingered hand.

No comments: