Tuesday, November 15, 2011

I sat and watched


This is not the sunset I saw today; it is one that was taken by Tia last February.  The reason why you can't see tonight's sunset, which was very similar to this one?  Because I did not rush inside to get the camera.  I did not zoom from room to zoom trying to find it.  I did not stand and compose the picture, then look at the image to see if it was "good enough."  I did not take a second picture and a third, maybe even a fourth.  I just put my shopping bags down, yanked the wicker chair over to the porch railing, and watched.  I took it in.  Let my eyes hold it for me.

Maybe that's the way to go these days.  I tasted the oatmeal this morning.  I felt the heavy clump of boot on my foot.  I smiled at the woman entering Zagara's.  I smelled the dish washing soap.  I laid down on the couch and felt, with such relief, how it held me.  I do not know if I will remember this day, much like yesterday, but maybe that does not matter so much.  I sat and watched the sunset.  For that moment, a moment I will no doubt soon forget, I was in love with the sun and part of the sky.  I was brother to the black armed trees. 

No comments: