Wednesday, October 26, 2011

New lens

My dad had cataract surgery on Tuesday.  Easy as pie.  2 hours.  Slight grogginess and wobbliness.  20 hours later, better vision than he had with glasses.  Up and about. He was great about the whole thing and it was pleasure to help him out a little.

How I wish I could, at times, change a lens too.  Just go under for a half hour and then pop back into life with a renewed sense of sight.  It's not that I don't see well, I just think sometimes I forget to see what I should see.  Or I filter what I see and know through a cloudy boredom.  Tomorrow I go back to work, and it will be fine.  Good even.  But, I will slosh through the day, pleasant, just not fully present.  That's the way it's been this year.  The same job as always.  A steady, even temperament, but I am removed. One layer removed. I have a cataract on my career.  I wonder, does insurance cover that?


No comments: