Monday, October 10, 2011

White line


Tonight, Terre told me about a song Jared Campbell sings called "White Line."  It's about a blustery drive home on a rainy/snowy/long/depressing night/day.  (You can determine the conditions, we have all known a drive like that).  The only thing that kept Jared on the road, and not in the ditch on the side of the road, was looking at the white line.  Then that same line transformed into the long string of people who keep him heading home.  Every dash a person.  That's an idea that will stick with me a while.  Who are my white line people?  Tonight, they would be Terre, Anne, Suzanne, the whole 4th grade of Fernway School (I could name all 76 if you want).  Lorene, my dad, my brother, a guy named Gregory, a little boy named Mathew B., Nikki, David, Jennie, Clover, Tia, Maya, Kathy, Keith and even the poet we heard tonight, W.S.  Thank you white line people.  Thanks for always helping me make it back home to myself.

No comments: