Monday, October 3, 2011

The swirl


... is the petroglyph symbol for journey. 
That's good to remember when I am unsteady.
It's all a journey, not good, not bad,
just a long walk on a wide land.

Tonight I helped a friend who called.
We retrieved her car so that it could be towed.
Beyond the break-down today, she had
been to court, waited with her son as
he had his wisdom teeth removed,
mistakenly skipped her duty as the car pool driver,
and had lost her wallet.
She need the 40 dollars to tow her car,
but couldn't swing it because she does not
have that amount in her bank account.

Me?  I am tucked in a cozy house,
with thousands and thousands of dollars
sleeping in two banks.  I have a job
that pays well, almost too much stability,
and not a worry in the world.

And yet, on her journey, my friend returns home
to a daughter that adores her, a son that
warms her sometimes-frustrated heart,
two other children away at college,
a mother who phones every Sunday,
a father who will buy her a new car
now that this one has died.

She has sub-swirls forking off of her swirl,
she has people attached to her journey.
And I have this: a lone swirl.  Strong,
carved deep into the highest mount of the petrogylph wall.

Mine is a journey, and it has been a blessed
and generous walk, I just wish, I just pray,
that I will learn how to walk my swirl with another.
Find a way to let someone fully make it to the center
of the labyrinth with me.  I hope someday,
I will have my emergency call. 
Someone I'll let tow me out of any situation. 

No, scratch that shit, even though it holds
some selfish truth.  I am lucky. 
I am not going to pray tonight nor
wish for something I am not able to have.
I am lucky tonight, blessed and rich,
the abundance is overwhelming.
I am not needing nor needy,
I am not wanting nor wont for something.
I am here.  My heart is still stretching.
My swirl is still swirling, I am not yet done.
And that, that, is more than good enough.






No comments: