Monday, October 31, 2011

Oct. 31st


I never really liked Halloween. Some of the costumes my mom made us wear were cute, others not so much.  (One year -- a particularly warm year -- I believe my brother and I went as Adam and Eve.  That, as you can imagine, at any age, is embarrassing).   But now, in hindsight, I think I just did not like dressing up and becoming someone else.  Already shrouded my own self-imposed layer of disguise, I don't think I wanted to wear another someone upon my already secret self.

Every year the kids at school ask me what I am going as and, usually, I say "a teacher."  Next year, I am going for something even better.  When they ask who I dressing up as, I'll just say me.  They'll cock their heads maybe, or just turn their attention to something else, never really knowing how important my simple answer is.

No comments: